Simple DIY Boho Chic Wall Hanging: Recycled and Sustainable
You can easily make this boho chic wall hanging yourself in an evening and it’s made out of completely sustainable recycled materials.
- A branch that suits the style you want, I like the ones with a slight curve to them, but whatever you fancy works.
- Some old t-shirts and scissors or you can purchase pre-made here.
- A finer twine to mount it.
Making the T-Shirt Yarn
Here is a great video tutorial on how to make old t-shirts into yarn by #sustainmycrafthabit. I used my son’s old t-shirts that he outgrew to make the one shown in the photo above.
- Cut a small slit in the t-shirt beginning a the bottom and then tear all the way across. Cut the slit about the size you’d like your strip of yarn to be.
- For this project I ended up making different sized pieces of yarn because I like the look of having longer pieces and shorter pieces as well as thicker and thinner pieces.
- You can also utilize the collar and seams for thicker/contrast pieces
- Once you’ve finished tearing a piece put each end into both hands and pull it, this will stretch it out a bit and hide any loose threads/cut marks.
Putting it All Together
You can check out this guide by #thesprucecrafts for a directional tutorial on looping the yarn over the branch. It’s very simple once you get the hang of it.
- Fold yarn in half.
- Push halfway mark of your piece of yarn up above the branch and then pull the ends up through the loop.
- Repeat this all the way across your branch until you’re happy with how it looks.
- I braided a couple of the pieces together to create contrast.
- Once it’s complete take a finer piece of string or twine and tie it to either end of your branch for mounting.
- Place a nail in your wall and VOILA! You have a beautiful piece of wall art that you created.
Post photos of your creation in the comments, I’d love to see yours!